Anxiety levels are on the rise. This is a normal response as we begin to open up our cities. Practicing the 478 Breath will take the edge off that feeling of unease. It is simple exercise that has huge health benefits.
I completed my Integrative Medicine Fellowship at the University of Arizona under Dr. Andrew Weil and this is his famous 478 Breath. The beauty of this exercise is its’ simplicity. It takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. It does not matter how fast or slow you do the exercise, it is the ratio of 4:7:8 that is important.
HOW DO I DO the 478 BREATH?
Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight. This is one breath cycle
- Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breath cycles.
Once you have a regular practice for 4-6 weeks, the benefits are amazing. The 478 breath lowers blood pressure, decreases heart rate and improves heart rate variability which is important for healthy aging. It improves digestion, will help with sleep and is more powerful at calming anxiety than prescription medications. I hope that you will give it a try! Check out our Facebook page for a demonstration.
Wishing you Health and Happiness!