Chicken & Black Bean Tortilla Soup
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 4 oz cans green chilies
- 10 corn tortillas white
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
- 2 cans black beans drained
- sea salt to taste
- 3 whole limes juiced
- Heat a large soup pot to medium heat and stir in onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder and pepper until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes and green chilies. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, stack tortillas and cut in to 1/8 inch strips. add to boiling broth. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse chicken and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Add chicken and beans to broth and return to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and add lime and salt to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with fresh avocado, additional lime and cilantro. Add your favorite hot sauce for an extra kick!