This bright healthy salad is made with seasonal summer ingredients. The quinoa adds a plant-based protein punch. Have fun shopping at your local farmer’s market for many of these fresh ingredients, and make substitutions to your taste.
Seasonal Summer Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa cooked in 2 cups water
- 2 nectarines or peaches, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup corn, frozen or cooked then cut off the cob
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 2-3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Bed of fresh greens
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Make the lemon dressing and let it sit to blend flavors.
- To make the quinoa, put it in a strainer and rinse it until the water draining from it turns clear. Boil 2 cups of water in a pot on the stove. Add quinoa and lower heat until the quinoa is lightly simmering. Cook for about 15minutes, when the quinoa is soft and has absorbed the water. Fluff and let cool.
- Prepare and assemble the rest of the salad ingredients. Put on the bed of greens. Add dressing to your taste and toss. Add the amount of quinoa desired and toss again. Add more dressing as needed.