We encourage our patients to eat a breakfast with plenty of protein, healthy fats and vegetables. This satisfying egg casserole checks all the boxes and gets your day off to a healthy blood-sugar-balancing start. Keeping your blood sugar balanced is an important part of balancing all of your hormones, and hormone balancing is our specialty here at Radiance Functional Medicine.
This is a perfect dish to have prepared in advance. Simply cut into portion sizes and freeze, then reheat throughout the week.
Colorful Breakfast Casserole
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage
- 3/4 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups chopped greens, e.g.spinach, kale, mustard, collard
- 12 eggs, whisked
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Oil a 9×12” baking dish.
- Coat sweet potatoes in oil and put them on a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes until soft.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage to the pan, using a fork to crumble it as it cooks.
- Once the sausage is fully cooked, mix in the greens and cook another 2 minutes.
- Whisk the 12 eggs together in a bowl. Mix in the salt and garlic powder.
- Spread the sweet potatoes evenly along the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer the meat mixture evenly on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Gently pour the egg mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve warm.