Cole slaw is the perfect side dish to your summer favorites! It goes well with grilled meats, seafood and vegetables. Or take it on a picnic as a crunchy side-dish! It’s light and full of vegetables that support gut health and clear skin.
This basic and versatile recipe can be changed-up with different vegetables, herbs and seeds.
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 2 scallions finely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (preferably made with olive or avocado oil)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp honey or pure maple syrup (optional)
- Prepare the vegetables and mix them together in a bowl.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients.
- Add dressing to the slaw mix a little at a time, until the desired amount is reached.
- Refrigerate the slaw until ready to serve.
- Refrigerate extra dressing for up to a week.
- Different julienned vegetables can be added or substituted. Radishes and jicama are excellent additions.
- Add more honey or maple syrup to the dressing if more sweetness is desired.
- Fresh chopped herbs can be added, such as dill or cilantro.
- Seeds can be added, such as hemp, pumpkin or poppy seeds.